To build demand for an emerging new use of mushrooms known as The Blend, which encourages blending finely chopped mushrooms with ground meat for more delicious, nutritious and sustainable recipes.
Enter the Blended Burger Project – a joint initiative between the Mushroom Council and the James Beard Foundation challenging chefs to create their own blended burger. We leveraged the Blended Burger Project for maximum impact with media and food industry influencers, using its popularity as a platform to promote the “trend to blend.” PR activities included:
- Recruiting more than 300 chefs to put blended burgers on their menus.
- Hosting educational chef and media events in key markets (San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., Chicago, New York).
- Sponsoring blended burger sampling activations at food festivals such as Denver’s Burger Battle and Portland’s FEAST.
- In less than 6 months, the Blended Burger Project earned 200+ online articles and 40+ print features from publications such as Wall Street Journal, Cooking Light, AllRecipes, Seattle Times and Minnesota Monthly, and 24 broadcast segments.
- According to the 2016 NASS report, mushroom sales increased by 19 million pounds!